Monday, February 3, 2014

Smelly Cat, what are they feeding you?

I have a cold and no voice.

I had 1 day in Cusco this week.

We spent a total of 24 hours on a cramped bus this week. 

I showered once because Andahuaylas has FREEZING showers.

I got bit by a flea.

I didn´t take many pictures.

I had a cold sore. 

Hna. Del Rio had to give up her guitar because we aren´t allowed to have them.

I am almost out of ice cream.

But I still have chicken nuggets, and I feel good. 

This week was full of stories and feelings that can´t be explained adequately in an email. I had a hard month, and a great last 2 days. My outlook on my whole mission has changed drastically. I am learning to not compare my mission to anyone elses. I am where I am for something specific, and I am starting to appreciate that. Even though I don´t really have investigators, and I don´t see hardly any little kids, I am happy here. After 5 long weeks of not understanding my purpose, I finally am happy. 

Miracle of the week:

We had the hardest time just getting on the dang bus to Abancay. We stopped there on the way to Andahuaylas. We forgot the tickets in the house, and couldn´t get on the bus without our Passports. Which are always in the mission office... 10 minutes away from the terminal. I never have my ID with me, and I was annoyed that we couldn´t just get on the bus, but the elders in the office saved us with 30 seconds to spare. On the way home from Andahuaylas, we got stopped by the police. They checked every single passenger´s ID thoroughly. I have no idea what or who they were looking for, but through what I THOUGHT was an inconvenience, actually saved me from a potentially very complicated and scary situation. I had my passport, and I wasn´t asked any questions. God was watching out for me.

I know I don´t say as much as you all would like in these emails, and I´ll try to remember to include some of the other stuff too.

To answer a few questions,

My companion is great. Always happy 24/7. I have never seen her mad or frustrated. Sometimes that´s hard for me because I´m so mellow, and I don´t talk until 10 AM, but she´s teaching me so many important things, and I love her for that. She´s from Guayaquil, Ecuador, and she goes home in August. She loves to sing while we walk, and loves music. not the same kind as me, but she loves music. She doesn´t like playing soccer (SCORE) and loves walking through stores without buying things (SCORE once again). She is so giving, and shares her tuna when I run out. We get along, and I like that. 

I still don´t have a picture with my mission president, but he looks a whole lot like Steve Martin. Like... exactly. He is the most incredible man I have ever met. We got to Abancay just before they ended their zone conference with the President. We caught the tail end where Pres. Harbertson talked about life after the mission. Ya know... marriage and stuff. Way to trunk us out president. haha. 

BUT He talked about his wife and how much he loves her and is grateful for her in his life and other really sweet things. When everyone else had left, he told me his wife has heard this talk about 12 times, and has never understood what he said about her. He asked me to translate it for her, and walked away. After I translated, she told me. "You wanna know how you pick him?" I was expecting something super long and complicated, but she just said "Pick someone who loves the Lord more than anything else, and everything else will work out. He will love your kids, he will work hard to take care of your family, he will be a good leader, and he will love you like the daughter of God you are." I just looked at her and said "I have never thought of it so simply." She is so wise. I have so many memories with her that I will carry into the rest of my life. I feel like I am in this mission specifically to know them. Don´t worry, I´m not trunky ahha. But I sure am trying to use all the things I experience here to change me into the person I need to be. 

I am going to love my family so much. 

I love the ones that already exist so much, and can´t wait to see pictures of baby Hixson in the coming weeks. 

I love you all more than words can say. Thank you for being my constant support.

Love, Hermana Allred.


p.s. Camille Rasmussen, I just barely got your dear elder, and you go into the MTC next week, so that doesn´t leave me with much time to give you advice haha. But just make sure you have a good long raincoat, a really warm down coat, and waterproof shoes. It rains a lot, and it´s cold here. But also, it´s hot in Puerto Maldonado and Quillabamba, so bring light weight clothes too. I´ll see you in Cusco in 7 weeks! Can´t wait to meet you.

1-- the view from my window the other night. 
2-- my bed when we travel. I really really like my bed at home. and hot showers. we are spoiled in Cusco. 
3-- We had just woken up, so ignore the faces. But, I GOT TO SPEND THE NIGHT AT ROUTSON´S HOUSE! I missed her and I love her. 




No comments: